Monday, June 21, 2010

Game Balance Concepts

So, for those of you who recall, I ran a free online class last summer. (If you missed it, all of the content is still there, and you can feel free to look through it at your own pace.)

Well, I'm doing it again this summer. Game Balance Concepts is a ten-week course that will go in depth in the topic of game balance.

Why do this again? Because I'm clearly insane. Also, I'm hoping to actually get paid for my time. But mostly, it's because game balance has always been an interest of mine, and it's the kind of niche class that I would never be able to teach (or even propose as a Special Topics course) as an adjunct. So, this is the best method I have of creating an experimental course with original content, just to see what happens.

At any rate, the class starts on July 5, so come and join me.

14 comments:

Federico Fasce said...

I'm totally in.

Satya said...

great!, looking forward for the lectures!

Modran said...

Woohoo!
If it's onlmine, count me in !

Ian Schreiber said...

@Modran: yes, it's 100% online. There isn't even a physical textbook to buy this time around :)

louis vuitton neverfull pm said...

Good,great
If it's onlmine, count me in !

neverfull said...

Great!Like it~

Brian Shurtleff said...

What? No textbook, Ian?
I guess you and Brenda will just have to write up a game balance textbook too, now... ;)

Ian Schreiber said...

@Brian: What textbook would you have me use, exactly? I don't know of any that really deal with this topic in depth. And yes, the long-term end result of this is that I would like to turn the course into a book.

John VanD said...

Very nice Ian :D
I'm really looking forward to it
as I did for game design concepts

Please don't forget to check the emails I've been sending you concerning the conference @ Mexico :D

Jonathan White said...

Does it cost? How do you sign up/participate?

Ian Schreiber said...

Jw: See the website. There are two versions, $55 or Free. Paid version requires payment; signup from there is more or less automatic. Free version requires nothing other than to bookmark the site and keep checking back each week - no signup necessary.

Arpita Kapoor said...

Hey Ian,

I have been doing the game design class this summer with one of my friend and will finish it by July 5. How can we register for this summers game balance class?
Which website are you referring to?

Your class has really been helpful, the reading assignments and games we are coming up with, is just great! Thanks!

Mavis Cruet said...

Having read your other two course with interest - I don't suppose you plan on doing a third one do you?

Ian Schreiber said...

Mavis: Going on right now, just about halfway done:
http://www.wiziq.com/course/548-Game-Analysis-and-Design

This one is targeted more for teachers than students so it's more "niche" - but I do plan to return to something for game designers / students next year.