Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Game Industry Hates My Students

This Tuesday, Final Fantasy XII is released. One week after that, Guitar Hero 2 hits stores. Two weeks after that -- just in time for finals at my school -- it's the Nintendo Wii. Pretty much everyone in my classes is holding their breath for at least one, if not all three of them. So am I, for that matter.

In theory, in the middle of all this, I'm supposed to be assigning work for my students to do. As if they're going to be the least bit productive with all these wonderful distractions.

It would be so much easier if actually playing the games was the homework assignment. But I know another professor who tried that, only to find that one of the assigned games was delayed a few weeks. Oops.

At the very least, I'm not going to have any time to play these games myself until winter break, so I'll have to make it a policy that anyone giving spoilers in class immediately drops a letter grade :-)

No comments: