Monday, October 02, 2006

Culture Shock: Tardiness

As I forcibly drag myself out of bed at some unholy morning hour so I can get to my class on time, it occurs to me that this is the sort of thing that would never happen in the game industry.

Mostly because if you show up late and say "sorry, I was up late playing this game that I just couldn't put down" people will understand. It's not something anyone should make a habit of, but it is a valid excuse.

As a teacher, of course, I have to show up on time or my students will leave. Many of them probably believe the widespread (but false) legend of some "15 minute rule": if the professor doesn't show up within 15 minutes of the start of class, then allegedly the class is automatically canceled. Sort of like how many of my students want to believe that emulation is legal if you own an original copy of the game, or if you delete it within 24 hours, or if the game is no longer sold in stores (all false).

2 comments:

Darius Kazemi said...

On emulation: all three of those beliefs my be false, but you won't go to Gamer Hell for practicing the first or the third.

Ian Schreiber said...

That's true Darius, although if Satoru Iwata or Doug Lowenstein wakes up one day thinking that the RIAA had the right idea, any reason will get you just as sued as any other :)